Friday 4 November 2011

An afternoon with my girl

When Iwan was first born, I remember thinking that I'd be happy to just have a house full of boys. I loved experiencing the growth of my relationship with my new baby son. Having taught middle school, my heart quaked at the thought of ever having a 13 year old girl of my very own.

But then I had Elle, and in the 125 days since she was born, she has dashed these fears. I love having a daughter, and more specifically, I love having Elle as my daughter. She is so sweet and sunny, and has the most amazing capacity for joy, and for bringing joy to those around her.

As much as I love watching my children interact, I cherish the times I get to spend one on one with my little girl. Iwan had me to himself for a long time, so I sometimes worry that Elle is getting short changed.

But yesterday afternoon we did get some of that rare time together. After taking care of a few chores, we snuggled on the sofa, read books, sang songs, and watched a little Gone With the Wind - an especially "OMG I have a daughter" moment. It was a perfect afternoon, and I hope it's something we'll both always make time for. I am so blessed to be able to spend time on earth with this little girl, and I am so excited for the wonderful crazy ride of raising a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment